Hidden Valley Animal Clinic

100 Oakhurst Drive
McMurray, PA 15317




Onions, in large quantities, can be toxic to dogs and cats.  The toxicity is dose dependent, so the bigger the animal, the more onion need be consumed to cause a toxicity.  The toxic effect of the onions are the same whether the product is raw, cooked or dehydrated. 

Onions damage red blood cells which can cause a severe type of hemolytic anemia.  The hemolytic episode usually occurs 3-7 days after onion ingestion.  Most cases of toxicity stem from one episode of large ingestion but daily feeding of onions could have a cumulative effect.